- Home Check: We arrive at a pre-scheduled time for our home watch inspection which is a visual inspection of your home or property looking for obvious issues. We work from a custom checklist created with you to meet your needs. After each visit, a detailed report will be emailed to you flagging issues so you can stay updated on your home.
- 24-Hour On-Call: We are able to accept calls outside of normal business hours and on holidays. We will respond to your urgent need to have someone check on your property or respond to an alarm. We will communicate any visible issues or take immediate action, if needed.
- Concierge Service: Book a time to talk or just text us. We will help make the most of your stay in the Hudson Valley. Whether it is for dinner reservations, tickets for entertainment, massage, body work, acupuncture, sensory deprivation float, spa treatments, eye lash extensions, in-home personal chef dinners, craft boxes, kids activities – you name it.
- Key Holder: Available to coordinate & be present to meet a service professional, guest or receive delivery.
What does a typical Home Check include:
Our exterior Home Check includes:
– General visual inspection of interior and exterior home and property.
– General security checks of garage and all house doors, windows and locks.
– Check for forced entry
– Check for broken windows or doors
– General check for water leaks or storm or animal damage.
– Check for lawn damage
– Check for exterior lighting issues
– Check for any problems with vents
– Check for drainage problems
– Remove all unwanted fliers/newspapers
– Remove Mail (if applicable)
– Check Pool/Spa for water level and discoloration
– Assure Pool Pump is running
– Check pool cage/screens for damage
– Pick up, properly discard unwanted newspapers, leaflets, door hangers, etc.
– Check to be sure exterior lighting including porch, garage, motion detector, are operational
– Check appearance of equipment such as air conditioning
– Note roof condition
Our interior Home Check includes:
– Check the water heater for proper setting and pilot light (if accessible).
– Check faucets for frozen pipes.
– Check for electrical power.
– Check telephone line for alarm transmission availability.
– All smoke detectors will be checked for proper operation
– Check for signs of obvious water leaks from exterior sources
– Check refrigerator for proper operation (if left on) or mildew accumulation (if turned off)
– All rooms are inspected for evidence of roof leaks, including door and window frames
– Electrical service panel will be inspected for tripped breakers caused by power surges and re-set
– Home checked for condition and cleanliness left by authorized vendors/guests
– Unless otherwise requested, all faucets will be turned on and run water through sinks, tub/showers.
– Toilets will be flushed to prevent dried gaskets and traps
– Visually check for pests/insects/rodents
– Check water heater
– Verify laundry room water supply lines turned off
– Check all lights
– Run washing machine on rinse cycle, once per month
– Run dishwasher, once per month.
– Pre- and post-inspections following significant events caused by man or Mother Nature.
Why do I need a Home Check service:
Actually, the question is, how can you not have one? So many things can happen to your home in your absence: break-ins, water leaks, electrical problems, insects, mold, and storms, to name a few. Conversely, preventive measures such as storm preparation and pro-active maintenance should prevent many situations from arising. Even if you have a trusted neighbor or relative nearby, having a professional acting on your behalf is a much better and more effective option.
Is Local Home Check a security service:
What insurance must I have on my property:
Local Home Check is fully insured and bonded for any issues that may occur during our visits. We ask our homeowners to also have standard home insurance for their property for other liabilities which may be incurred as a result of fire, theft, vandalism, flooding, snow, freezing, wind, or other similar events or occurrences typical for the region. Not sure about your coverage? Need a free insurance assessment? We can help.
What if I have a situation at my home:
What Local Home Check is and is not:
- We provide inspections of homes and properties that are unoccupied for both a short or a long term.
- We can oversee home maintenance and “handyman” type repairs during the owner’s absence.
- We act as an advocate for the homeowner, always looking out for their best interests.
- We are a constant and consistent line of communication.
- We are neither “house-sitters” nor a security service, even though our presence is a known crime deterrent.
- We look at both the exterior and interior of the home.
- Any problems or situations that are discovered will be dealt with, and the homeowner made aware.
- We are legal, insured and ethical.
- We totally respect our home owners’s privacy. We are confidential and will execute a non-disclosure agreement if requested.
Top 15 problems we encounter:
- Automatic oil or propane not being delivered.
- AC / furnace or boiler not working.
- Animal activity in the home.
- Toilet or other appliance water leak.
- Home left un-secure after family or friends have used the home. Doors, windows, either open or unlocked.
- Frozen pipes; this is the single biggest problem if it is left unchecked for too long.
- Snow load on the roof too heavy causing damage.
- Landscaping damage.
- Tree blown down in a storm or branches falling on the roof and causing minor damage and in some cases leaks in the roof or broken windows.
- Flooding from a leak or storm or water and ice damage in the Spring.
- Sump pumps in basements failing and flooding basements.
- Security system not being alarmed correctly resulting in a burglary.
- Replacing smoke detector and carbon monoxide batteries.
- Home maintenance contract fraud.
- Canceled mail still being delivered to home.
What is Home Watch:
The officially sanctioned definition of Home Watch, as defined by the National Home Watch Association, is a visual inspection of a home or property, looking for obvious issues.